Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My son is a college student whom I had to claim on my return. He earned $820 for the year and had an interest income of $295. Can he take a deduction of $1,000 if he puts $1,000 into an IRA? He has no other dedcutions because he had to go on my return. I did this for 1997, but I am confused about the changes for 1998.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.