Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
There is an article on Yahoo! Finance today (from Kiplinger) about "The 13 Most Overlooked Tax Deductions":
The third point is about College Tuition and it says:
"You won't find this one on the forms, either, but you may qualify to deduct up to $4,000 you paid in college tuition in 2006 for yourself, your spouse or a dependent. This break can pay off if your income is too high to qualify to claim the Hope or Lifetime Learning credit.

For 2006 returns, the deduction is taken on line 35 of the Form 1040, the line for the domestic production deduction. Write "T" to the left of that line. If you're claiming the production break, too, write "B" on the dotted line and attach a breakdown of how much you're claiming for each. You also get to claim this deduction regardless of whether you itemize."

I looked up the forms but didn't see anything about the "T" or the "B." Is this deduction legitimate? Where exactly do I learn more about it?

- zol
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.