Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
[combo-reply]
I'm curious what the sentiment is in Seattle. From the outside, it looks like a lot of changes other than Russel Wilson. They've parted ways with a lot of former stars, do you feel they've replaced them?

Not a lot of gnashing of teeth around the water cooler... solid draft I think. DK Metcalf is supposed to be the real deal, and I think a new slot/underneath receiver with good hands will emerge to fill Baldwin's role, but that because that person won't have Baldwin's skills or the trust of Wilson, TEs Dissly and Dickson (and RBs) will catch more passes than last year. But there is definitely no shortage of field-stretching talent, with both Tyler Lockett and Metcalf around.

LBs: I've long felt Bobby Wagner was hugely underrated, and it is great to see that he's finally being recognized. I was a little surprised they re-signed K.J. Wright for the "not overpaying" philosophy I mentioned above, but I love K.J. Wright. The guy has football smarts in spades. Very glad to see him back.

Physically, KJ Wright is the Richard Sherman of LBs: fast, smart, and VERY long. Sherman was very underrated as a run defender, while Wright is very underrated as a pass defender. He covers a lot of ground and knocks down a lot of passes. Agree about Wags and Kendricks. As I've written before, that meathead down in Carolina steals a lot of Wagner's DPOY votes every year.

OL: Kind of a horror show, as always.

This one we disagree on. After picking up Mike Iupati to start at LG, Seattle declined to pick up the 2020 option on Germain "1st and 15" Ifedi, and the OL looked much improved last year, especially when DJ Fluker was in for Ifedi. There are better role players and better chemistry forming, and Brian Schottenheimer's much stronger focus on the run game took substantial pressure off Wilson compared to the 2016 disaster, when DangeRuss accounted for all but 1 of the team's offensive TDs and *should* have run away (almost literally) with the MVP. There is still no team that needs any one player more than Seattle needs Wilson, and it's not even close to close to close. I'm thinking MVP means "of the league" rather than "of the team". But I digress.

Speaking of the OL, one area not covered is RBs: deep pool, despite the loss of Mike Davis to the Bears. Chris Carson's the man (247/1,151 last season), and I think Rashaad Penny showed the requisite chops to succeed when he gets the opportunity.

So, optimism up in South Alaska for sure... Good takes from syke6, as usual.

-n8 (would love to see more "team takes" like this on other squads, from folks here)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.