No. of Recommendations: 1
Come on, Gus:

From previous posts on the subject on this board, I think it's fairly clear that RV retired with less money than he wanted to, and has been searching for a way to justify spending more than 4%. Hence the various rationalizations.

Don't we ALL retire with perhaps less than we'd like to have in an ideal world? However, we do fine, thanks. LOL!

The truth is that I started managing my own 401k years ago (within the limits of the company's 401k framework), found out that I could do fairly well with it that way, and then rolled it over to a self-directed IRA when I retired.

I'm simply not a lemming, to put it bluntly. As Frank Sinatra used to sing "I did it my way..." and I have pretty much lived my life that way, when I could.

My whole message is this:

It's YOUR life -- and YOUR money.

If you prefer to invest it and let it ride, and perhaps don't want to have to deal with managing your money, and you want to obey a 4 percent (or some other) "rule", and that WORKS for you, then by all means go ahead and do that!

However, if you perhaps feel, as I do, that you'd prefer to think about what your money is doing, and prefer to learn about how to manage it yourself, why not do that, instead?

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.