Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 23
Coming at FUBO from purely a customer point of view...

Everybody talks about FUBO as killing it in the sports niche... but, as far as sports fans in the US go, FUBO has almost no sports... they are still a soccer channel. I was one that switched from HULU to FUBO in the first quarter just to give it a try, and I am very disappointed in their US sports coverage... ie as in they have none! In fact, for US sports fans, HULU is actually better because they at least carry the Turner networks which get you the NBA coverage and the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament. Aside from the fact the EVERYBODY will have full coverage of the NFL since it's covered on CBS and Fox (with a few games on ESPN), FUBO has almost no coverage of MLB baseball, NBA basketball, or NHL hockey. I've gone thru my guide many times, and in a week, I may get 5 MLB baseball games that are carried by a local channel or a 'game of the week' somewhere (when ~100 are played). If I pay extra for an addon to get MLB Network, I can add maybe a half dozen more games... but still maybe only 10% of all games played.

The kicker is, Sinclair, thru it's recent purchase of the regional Fox Sports networks, recently rebranded in partnership with Bally to Bally Sports, has the broadcast rights to MLB, NBA, and NHL, along with covering most all college sports and local high school sports. They also own (or partially own) other regional sports networks (some that FUBO does carry right now) like Marquee in Boston or YES in NY...

And the further kicker is that Sinclair, in its partnership with Bally, is planning to come out with their own streaming network which will have wagering just as FUBO is planning. So if you are in the US and want to bet on whether the next pitch will be a strike, or if this guy will hit his free throws... you're gonna do it on the Bally App, not FUBO.

Also, I imagine that FUBO is in kind of a catch 22 right now... if they aren't carrying the Turner Channels by the time next Springs NCAA basketball tournament comes around, they will lose customers by the droves (I know I'll switch back to HULU in a heartbeat)... if they do pick them up, I imagine the price of their service will have to increase (or they wouldn't have dropped Turner in the first place), so they'll lose customers that are trying them out only because they are currently a little cheaper than HULU...

Also, re "In FUBOs case they can essentially place ads on their platform for free thus cutting out a major cost"

Don't forget, you can't use FUBO unless you're going thru someone like ROKU... I imagine ROKU has a big say in FUBO ads...

So I'm having a hard time seeing a road ahead for FUBO in the US...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.