Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I generally try to tune the commentators out, or at least filter which parts I pay attention to. But can I just say that I find Al Trautwig an absolutely horrifying commentator for gymnastics. It isn't like this is the first time he has ever had to cover gymnastics either. You think at some point he'd try to read up on the sport or learn something about it. He pretty much has the "fall - .5 deduction, step = .1 or .2" thing down, but that is almost all he knows. Last night I heard him talking about a performance on the beam and refer to it as both a bar routine and a floor performance (or something like that). That must have just been mis-speaking; he couldn't possibly be that confused. But other than that he is constantly saying things like "oh, that's bad, isn't it?" or "So does that mean her chances are over or can she recover?" and leaving Tim and Elfi to answer. Would it kill them to find someone with a passing familiarity with the sport to be the primary commentator? How can he do a play-by-play when he doesn't even know the names of the skills. He just sounds stupid. Not that former gymnasts always sound all that great - parts of the commentary are just annoying no matter who says them (like the fifth or sixth time they pull out Belu's quote about teaching his gymnasts how to work hard, then compete, then win) - but at least they know what they are talking about.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd love it if NBC gets Howard Stern to comment on gymnasties. ROFL!
Would it kill them to find someone with a passing familiarity with the sport to be the primary commentator? How can he do a play-by-play when he doesn't even know the names of the skills. He just sounds stupid. Not that former gymnasts always sound all that great - parts of the commentary are just annoying no matter who says them (like the fifth or sixth time they pull out Belu's quote about teaching his gymnasts how to work hard, then compete, then win) - but at least they know what they are talking about.

What get's me is how much he (and the others) seem to miss. On a couple of the balance beam routines, I counted several balance corrections; none major, but they were there, and certainly deducted from the score. But the commentators were criticizing the judges for give a low score to such a well executed routine. Makes me wonder if they were even watching the same routine.
(also makes me realize that I've watched a hell of a lot of this stuff, that I can pick that up from the TV)

David
But other than that he is constantly saying things like "oh, that's bad, isn't it?" or "So does that mean her chances are over or can she recover?" and leaving Tim and Elfi to answer. Would it kill them to find someone with a passing familiarity with the sport to be the primary commentator? How can he do a play-by-play when he doesn't even know the names of the skills. He just sounds stupid.

That is actually pretty funny as I was thinking the EXACT same thing last night. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt though, and was thinking possibly they have the bar set very low for people who rarely watch gymnastics - perhaps once every 4 years during the Olympics? But really, if you grasp the entire concept of the Olympics, that it is on the highest level of international competition, then it would not seem to take any knowledge whatsoever to figure out that if you sit down on your dismount, and everyone else stands up, then it is indeed A Bad Thing and that your chances are pretty likely over.

The best part of the night last night was seeing Carly do her floor routine with no commentary whatsoever.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Ah, now the focus of my wrath has a name! He (Al) is annoying, he just sounds like a moron. I know nothing about Gymnastics other than watching it when it's on TV and I could do a better job than him.

I hearby announce that I am writing NBC and asking them to fire Al and hire QASteph, who at least knows what she's talking about. Not to mention having actually participated in the sport.

=) Megan
I'd love it if NBC gets Howard Stern to comment on gymnasties. ROFL!

If that ever happened I would have to mute the TV and just listen to music while watching it myself.