Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have my own S-Corp - and I'm curious about designating one of my cars as a company car.

I purchased it in March(as a personal car which I used primarily for business). So the Title, etc.. is in my personal name.

I've realized that I have been steering so clear of tax Evasion that I'm missing many legal opportunities to avoid taxes - I think this is one of those 'I've been to cautious' areas.

Is there any way I can get this car into 'company owned status' and how would I make this a tax benefit - can I just submit an expense report to my company for a car? I doubt it - you probably can't just expense its purchase(about 14,000).

If I decide to just sell this privately and get a 'new' company car - is leasing the only way to expense the cost of having the car? If I purchase the car - I can't expense payments - what if I pay cash for it - I guess I'd have to depreciate it.

Please give me some really basic answers if possible - and then point me toward a nice complicated IRS publication for some fun reading.

Thanks,
Helter

before you ask - Yes, I have a CPA - I should probably just talk to him - but I prefer in that relationship to go into the conversations with a strong understanding of how things work to make sure he's on the mark - we haven't worked together that long - so I'm still wary.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.