Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Raytheon seems to me to be the only major defense company that's actually selling at a discount to fair value. Granted, there have been good reasons for it, but they are mostly all in the past (except for the pension plan obligations, which are easily manageable). The company is valued as if it still has those other problems. It doesn't.

It's business is also divided between commercial aviation and government aerospace, a good mix in my opinion. The government business consists of thousands of small contracts to supply a bewildering variety of components for a huge number of weapons system and major electronics systems. They are rarely a primary contractor, so government cuts to major programs will hurt them less than the primary contractors. Even if major new weapons systems development slows down, the old ones continue to require parts, and that's RTN's niche.

Presently, I'd buy them over any other of the major defense contractors on value alone. I own a considerable amount of the stock, btw, so consider that in my arguments.

DilettanteDude
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.