Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I owed a lot ($9,000+) for my 1998 Federal Taxes, so I opted to pay it off over the course of the year in monthly installments. I set up a montly installment plan with the IRS. I paid the bulk of it in 1999 but the last few installments spilled over into the beginning of 2000.

I shouldn't be taxed on the income that I earned in 2000 that I used to pay off federal taxes owed for 1998, right? This amount should just be deducted from my 2000 taxable income, right?

If this is the case, where do I report the amount I paid so that it properly deducts itself from my 2000 taxable income?

Thanks for any shared wisdom.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.