Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 33
Conference Call (If you can read this conference call and not run out and fill up on TTD stock, you are a stronger man (or woman) than I am.)
Conference Call (If you can read this conference call and not run out and fill up on TTD stock, you are a stronger man (or woman) than I am.)

I had been in and out of TTD for awhile, from time to time. Once I lost patience and back when you have an ANET or SHOP to invest in, I just had to put my money back in to that group. However, the last thing I did was read the earnings transcript the night after earnings and then saw the stock crash on what was an exceptional earnings report without any qualifications and I bought it on day 1 and day 3 and TTD has been put in that place I put Mongo, where I invest and add to it to the point that I did not even notice Mongo had not crashed during the recent crash but rather had been near all time highs! I just never paid attention becasue I felt I did not have to.

Dreamer has been in TTD since he pretty much became a Fool I think. But as good as TTD has done, its break in period is over and its business is not just hyper-growth but accelerating hyper-growth and with sufficient momentum that absent cataclysm it is as if 2019 is already set up to be even better given the recent new customer wins, continuing secular switch to digital and programmatic, the early rise of CTV, fall of Doubleclick ID, the new platform, and a whole bunch more.

I read a transcript so as not to get lost in cult of personality as so many CEOs can be. There is no getting away, even by reading, what this company is doing and its excitement to be doing it.

A bit of a warning, back in the internet days one of the leading networking chip companies had the same sort of enthusiasm and was expressing in all his years in the business never had he before seen such demand for a product. That company ended up being a sleepy networking company again with little growth and much smaller marketcap post-bubble. So it can happen.

However that is not the fate of TTD. The demand being created in TTD’s markets is real, sustainable, growing, 5G will only accelerate it more, as will AI, and it will be around for possibly generations. We can only be lucky to be able to hold on until TTD gets to the point of wondering what world’s to conquer next.

Either way you look at it, this industry is in a Tornado - meaning an inflection point where it is moving from early adopters, late early adopters, across the chasm and into the early mainstream. It is here that growth accelerates, takes off, as customer after customer starts on-boarding themselves in heard like fashion so not to be left behind or out of all the excitment. I am quite sure of this, that TTD has reached that place and with less than a $5 billion marketcap ($4-$5 billion) is my Goldilocks zone when a company is no longer a start-up or rookie, but like a 3rd year quarterback and beginning its prime and will be many years prior to it plateaus and starts to think retirement or moving to the booth (sort of analogy).

Anyway lots of gibberish but the timing nearly exactly coincides with what Saul has seen - seems to happen quite a bit - so whether my opinion adds anything or not, what Saul is describing is not limited to Saul, I have to say that Saul is not only “may” be correct, but he is correct with this company.

Now lets hope before the world starts to fall apart (hopefully never, but if said were to happen) we can at least first have TTD become the dominating business it will be, cash out, and then the world can fall apart and we can deal with it, having had of course many years first of TTD doing its stuff.

That is about the only disclaimer I am making to myself with TTD at the moment. World falling apart like scenario. But that is for me. As Saul says, each make your own decisions.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.