Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20
This will be pretty cryptic ... I heartily recommend all shareholders listen to the CC. You can skip over the first 10-15 minutes to get to the future strategy and Q&A parts. I'll leave out most financial stuff, since the most important stuff is available in the PR.

CC link: http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/0/47560.html

General random notes

- By fiscal 4th quarter (2nd Q next year), shipments to Japan should resume as they work off inventory.

- added $1.8M to cash holdings, now at $52M.

- $2.7M operating cash flow

- blames lagging growth in 1H on inventory, mild allergy season in Japan, and no new products

- hope to attain 10-15% annual growth in fiscal 2005 with new products, inventory elimination, new strategies, and 3rd brand platform.

- international: Canada up 18%, Europe up %13, Japan dn 10% ("lowest pollen, softest allergy season in decades") -- Mexico, 9th largest OTC market in the world

- Fiber Choice: steadily increasing advertising coverage since growth is 15% and successful.

How to grow BR brand

1. relaunch clear strips

test studies show consumers find them much easier to wear and take off,
35% more preference to clear strips (I believe)

2. TV ad demo

added 6 sec. demo in TV ads on how they work -- people need more info on how they work

3. long 1-2 minute commercial

reasons: complicated message, great increase in purchases from those who have received 1-2 minute explanation on how BRs work vs. those who receive quick explanation.

4. print ads

"I'm A Stripper, and I Don't Have Any Trouble Sleeping At Night". Celebs: Tom Arnold (People), Deuce McAllister (RB, N.O. Saints in Sports Illustrated), Tim Herron(?)(Golf)

5. Multimedia Campaign

"Get Back in the Sack" targets couples who have snoring problems

New Products

1-2 BR products for 2006 cold/flu season
1-2 FC products for upcoming spring
robust new product platform pipeline for future

"We have the management & financial capacity to make an effectively integrated acquisition". Want to acquire/license a 3rd brand platform.

Q & A note: not complete ... just the most interesting

Any impact from shortage of vaccine? Don't know how to quantify outcome of shortage yet.

Does 15% growth projection include acquisition of 3rd brand? No, organic growth only.

Why guide to lower end of range? 2Q is lower than expected, not sure about flu vaccine impact ... prudent to narrow and guide lower.

Will you target campaign to heightened sensitivity to flu vaccine situation? No, for many reasons ... main reason is "we go to great lengths to work through long term strategic direction ... and apply advertising $$ to that ..." Clear strips have long term potential. Not sure if demand is there yet ... only spend when certain that market is there ... i.e. when flu season ended abruptly, so did advertising $$ ... no need to spend $$ on reduced demand.

3 Main Focuses

1. BR brand building
2. FC growth
3. 3rd product platform

illini1990's Take

The company still seems to be taking a very cautious and deliberate approach to growing the business, as evidenced by the ad campaigns and marketing studies they do. They believe that the BR story & benefits are a little complicated, and consumers respond better when they're given more than a sound-bite. They continue to strongly blame the shortened flu season on the relatively poor last half year, and hope to offset that a bit by selling the snoring-relief aspect more. I accept that partially, but also believe that the advertising needs to smarter and more aggressive as well. They gave off strong indications of wanting to buy a 3rd brand while developing BR and FC, so I'm sure they'll be managing their cash very well to achieve that goal.

I have an overall favorable impression of the management of this company. They are a little too cautious sometimes, but I'd rather they err on that side than be reckless. I also continue to be impressed that for such a small company that wants to grow, they aren't so arrogant that they won't return some cash to shareholders. I believe that a CNXS stockholder must be patient and be a long-term owner, because I think the business will grow slowly, and the acquisition they badly want to make will reduce cash and/or dilute stock, and if some heavyweights don't like the purchase, there could be a big selloff.

This could be a mini-Lynch type classic, where it idles for 3-4 years, then takes off afterwards. It seems to me like the worst case scenario is that 5 years from now, they are still floating sideways, but you at least earned 2% dividends in the meantime. Not market-beating or exciting, obviously, but perhaps if one takes the mind-set of it being better than a money-market return, while almost as safe, with a pretty good upside, I think you're ahead of the game.

I'm pooped. Good night ... hope you found this useful. Any corrections/questions welcome.

Regards,

Tom

P.S. Cryptic? Geez, Tom, shut up and go to sleep.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.