Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
congrats, btw, for capturing post #12345.

Well done!

I am over 300 Audible titles now. I have preferred audiobooks vs reading books for about 7-8 years now.

Running out of sci-fi I am interested in. I like certain readers and definitely certain authors.
There are two that don't necessarily produce the absolute finest books, but rather always consistently-interesting/satisfying books, that I have been reading more and more of. Here are some, but not all and most of my favorite reads:

Jeremy Robinson aka Jeremy Bishop aka Jeremiah Knight - 25 - this guy is prolific and feel like if I was ever to have become an author, this is close to what I would have been. It is sci-fi, but not necessarily space...it could be in a jungle, or a version of hell on earth, or time travel, or involve godzilla-sized kaiju monsters. Never the absolute A+ books, but always solid A/B quality work, and almost always an entertaining listen.

RR Haywood - 25 - first got hooked on author via Code Series, then Undead series, and now listening to Extracted series. Like Jeremy Robinson, this is A-to-B quality, but consistently entertains me without being greatest novel I ever heard/read.

BV Larson - 24 - I feel like this is inflated, bc I got hooked on "Star Force" series early on in my audible listening, and that was about 12 books. The rest has been the "Mercenary" series.

Barry J. Hutchinson - 17 - this was largely the funny "Space Team" universe of books. Phil Thron is a good reader, too. These books got me thru a stressful part of my work career.

Mark Tufo - 15 - was surprised I had this many, but I got hooked for a while on his Zombie Fallout series and related spinoffs. It is "B" quality, but entertaining enough that you keep going.

Michael Stephen Fuchs - 14 - the epic Arisen series. Yes, a zombie series, but this is more series military approach, with just awesome characters and settings. There were few books I had a harder time waiting on then the last few in this series.

Craig Alanson - 12 - all the Expeditionary Force series. Cheesy and overly wordy in many spots, but the characters and spunky AI known as Skippy are like listening to old friends at this point. Like a lot of long series, they start good, fade a bit, and sometimes make a comeback in quality.

John Scalzi - 10 - start with Red Shirts to understand his humor. Old Man's War is another favorite.
Typically read by Wil Wheaton.

Keith C. Blackmore - 9 - The Mountain Man series primarily...a classic among zombie series.

Peter Clines - 9 - includes the Ex-Heroes series and misc novels. Imaginative scifi...but not necessarily space-related.

James SA Corey - 8 - these are the Expanse novels, made into very good tv series too. The reader, Jefferson Mays, has a very unique voice and cadence, and then you get used to him and feel like he utters prose like hot chocolate in the Winter.

Benjamin Wallace - 8 - this was actually (4) but two of the purchases were multiple books in one. He is funny and read by Phil Thron, so I put him and Barry Hutchinson together for comic relief choices.

Olan Thorensen - 7 - the Destiny's Crucible series. Basically, a chem masters grad gets abducted by aliens and dropped on another planet where humans have also evolved, but it is circa 1600s or so technology. Very addictive concept of bringing tech back in time kind of. Series is still going strong.

Jason Anspach/Nick Cole - 7 - the Galaxy's Edge series. They have a ton of spinoffs, but I only listen to the main series. Read by one of the best in RC Bray.

Scott Meyer - 7 - read by Luke Daniels, this is mainly the Magic 2.0 series. Very funny, and about concept of we are all part of a computer simulation, but in this case, some nerds figured out how to hack the code to their advantage.

Dennis E Taylor - 6 - the epic Bobiverse series is great. He also has had two good standalone novels...look forward to his future books.

Daniel Suarez - 5 - very good writer of future application of tech in scifi/dystopian manner.

Alastair Reynolds - 4 - I actually own most of his books, but re-bought some as audiobooks.

Brandon Sanderson - 4 - only from the "Reckoners" series. I don't read his fantasy stuff, which he appears to do a ton of. This series was more sci-fi/superheroes genre.

Rhett Bruno - 4 - standalones and enjoyed them all. Looking forward to more like The Roach and The Circuit.

Andy Weir - 2 - both very good. Martian and The Hail Mary.

Dreamer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.