Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Congratulations -

And a special encouragement/congratulations on leaving Jan's SS. You get 8% return compounded annually. In additional there is a COLA on those benefits. I have not run the math, but I would not be surprised if you would find the Net Present Worth was favorable even if you withdraw rate is forced up to 4%. And I mean waiting until age 70 - not just the FRA.

Lots of people say take the money and run - and in fact well over half of out population does that. The break even point is roughly age 82. So unless you are either less healthy than 50% of the population you should bet on coming out ahead by waiting.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.