Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Congratulations!!! We just had twins two months ago, and I've been doing much of the same research.

1) Apparently there is no way to sock away money pre-tax, similar to the 401k.

2) http://www.savingforcollege.com/ is a good site, with a calculator that will do some of what you want to do, but really it's anyone's guess what future college costs will be. Most college websites will post the cost of attendance in an easy to find page, often linked from their financial aid page. I went to the homepages for several potential colleges, public and private, that I could see my kids attending in 18 years, to obtain the current costs. It blew my mind. I knew college was more expensive than when I was there, but I hadn't expected this much of an increase.

My suspicion is that this rate of increase in tuition and fees is not sustainable, but that prediction is worth what you paid for it.

3) You should use California's "Scholarshare" as Clark Howard recommends, provided you plan to remain in California. The advantage is that your 529 will accumulate free of federal AND California state income taxes. If you went with a good out-of-state plan, for example Utah's UESP, you could save on expenses, but that savings would be more than offset by losses to California state income tax. (That assumes we have significant growth within our 529's -- knock on wood!)
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.