No. of Recommendations: 0
Conscious thoughts affect behavior. A conscious being performs mental processes that a non-conscious being would not perform.

That's all very different from those who argue from Libet-type experiments that it is objective neural activity that affects behavior while subjective experiences are just some epiphenomenal aftereffect that has no function.

Computers can do many of the processes that the human brain does, such as math calculations, storing and recalling information, recognize faces, proof-read papers, drive a car. Are these similar enough to human mental processes to infer consciousness? If not, what kind of behavior would suffice?

In other words, I can calculate 2X3 and so can my computer. Is my computer conscious (or am I non-conscious)?

Yes, I very much think that a conscious mind makes decisions differently than a non-conscious mind. It is not the beginning of an argument for free will in any shape or form.

I dunno. The obvious difference between conscious and non-conscious is the presence of subjective experience. If there is an a priori difference between conscious and non-conscious behaviors as you seem to suggest, then the subjective mind significantly affects behavioral choices in a way that non-conscious entities cannot. That looks to me like the beginning of an argument for free will, which is consciousness-dependent.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.