No. of Recommendations: 2
Consider fire. The origin of a fire is completely determined by factors that are "non-fire". Once the fire starts, the behavior of the fire is determined primarily by the characteristics of the fire itself. A phase change occurs and a different set of rules apply.

Oh? Please inform me of which rules (laws of physics) start and stop applying once a fire starts. I would love to learn about this.

>I definitely agree that the universe is absurd by human intuition.

So why are you so tied to your intuition concerning the dichotomy between determinism and free will?

Because it's not intuition. It's logic. And it's not a dichotomy between determinism and libertarian free will. It's that libertarian free will requires determinism be both true and false at the same time, an impossible state of affairs. Both determinism and indeterminism falsify libertarian free will. Determinism falsifies the 'free' part of it and indeterminism falsifies the 'will' part of it.

You're the one hanging your hat on human intuition about consciousness and free will.

What is a "measurement"?

That is the unresolved question that interpretations of quantum mechanics attempt to answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_problem

How do you distinguish between "information" and "non-information" without consciousness as a frame of reference?

? How does consciousness add anything to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_information
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.