Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Considering the number of incompetent people who hang out a tax preparer shingle, I think someone ought to regulate them. And some states already do. Also, firms like H&R Block require preparers to take training and, I assume, pass some kind of test before they can work for them.

CPA's and CMA's have continuing education requirements. Wouldn't it be nice if you could be sure your tax preparer had at least taken a course to update him on the latest tax law changes?

I prepare my own returns so it's not an issue for me. But if I were paying someone to do it, I'd like to know that person was properly qualified to do the job.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.