Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Considering the Select membership costs $1000 for two years and a year's wait before you get your $500 discount, and the Premier membership costs $3500 a year and requires the purchase of seven G4 towers to make up the cost, I don't think you need to worry too much about people joining casually.

I was blowing things out of proportion, but it just gets my goat when I see programs established to help out specific communities, then someone comes along and not only wants to take advantage of it for self-gain without regard to the company, its investors or the community trying to be helped, but then blatantly posts about it. Rude and short-sighted.

OTOH, the prices also keep many of us lone developers from joining. If I'm going to write shareware, it's hard to justify even $500 a year.

Tell me about it. I've developed games for the PC for years, and I'm now beginning to develop for the Mac, and the cost to get a good Mac development system is rather high (although, oddly enough, not nearly as expensive as my Dell Precision 220 2x933 w/ 512MB RDRAM cost me just 9 months ago). I'm a little amazed at how much they mark up their hard drive and RAM costs.

At the very least I had hoped that Apple would sell older systems to devs at a discount, both for testing and development. I would imagine that they're sitting on a bunch of Cubes that they could sell to educational or developers at a good price. Unfortunately they don't (they recommend you go to E-Bay if you want, say, a Rev. B Bondi iMac).

-LongHook
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.