Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Most excellent news ....

There is something just wrong about having to get government permission to exercise a constitutional right. Thank you Texas legislature and Governor Abbott for rectifying this situation.

I already had my concealed carry permit but now I won't have to mess with renewals every few years....

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Gov-...

Gov. Abbott signs 'constitutional carry' bill allowing Texans to carry handguns without a permit

... details at link
Print the post Back To Top
I already had my concealed carry permit but now I won't have to mess with renewals every few years....

You might want to keep your permit active in case you happen to travel out of state...

Rope
No. of Recommendations: 1
You might want to keep your permit active in case you happen to travel out of state...

Rope

--------------

Good point. I don't travel as much as I once did but a road trip is one of the situations where I am sure to be carrying, with a possibility of a breakdown in some remote or unfamiliar area.

I used to go to Indiana and Michigan quite a bit. After I got my permit and started carrying I had to change my route to use Kentucky instead of Illinois for part of the east-west travel leg since Illinois did not recognize out of state permits.

I suppose the State of Texas will still issue permits even though they are no longer required.
I suppose the State of Texas will still issue permits even though they are no longer required.

The question will be if other states change their reciprocity agreements with Texas.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 3
The question will be if other states change their reciprocity agreements with Texas.

I find this website useful.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_...

Rope
FYI, its becomes law on Sep 1 of this year...doc
No. of Recommendations: 2
Is there a reason why Texas, where virtually everyone owns or carries a gun, took so long to have this signed into law? Why didn't they do it years ago?
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there a reason why Texas, where virtually everyone owns or carries a gun, took so long to have this signed into law? Why didn't they do it years ago?

That is a great question...doc
"Virtually everyone" owned a gun in Texas but only a minority carried one outside of a vehicle. A gun in home or vehicle was lawful even before recent laws.
I once lived in a smallish town in the SE part of the US and knew only one homeowner that did not have a firearm of some sort at home. This is common in many parts of the US. Parts that have lower gun related homicides than restricted places like Chicago.

my own personal opinion is that firearm carry is clearly guaranteed in Constitution. What else could "Bear" mean? .But concealed carry sans permit is a more cloudy issue.

It is no accident that gun sales are up . Rapid increase of pro second amendment laws at the State level is a clear reaction to Lefties stated intentions at restricting or banning them. So Lefties are responsible for this strong movement.

There will never be enough federal agents to enforce laws without cooperation of the states and cities. Like with cannabis, the people will speak. More federal laws will have the same result as prohibition of alcohol, people will just violate the laws. There are probably over 300 million functional firearms in the US, and they last nearly forever. Like cannabis the "ban it"war is already lost. No matter what is done at the Federal level. Do Lefties think taking stuff away from people is going to get votes for them? Any success at Federal level will lead to even more losses at the state level. The Dems would do better using political capital for ends not doomed to failure, ends that will not alienate millions of voters, ends that might actually accomplish something
"I once lived in a smallish town in the SE part of the US and knew only one homeowner that did not have a firearm of some sort at home."

It may changed since, but when I was growing up in NJ long ago, nobody's parents hunted, or went to the range or had grandpa buy them their first gun, etc. Heck, none of us even had a BB-gun! The stories I used to hear about kids in Texas coming to school with a few shotguns in the back of their pickup trucks was non-existent among my circle of friends and classmates. In fact, if a classmate even suggested something like that, we would have all been saying to each other, "what is his/her problem"?

Even after the early 1970's riots in Newark and Asbury Park, there was no large scale rush to the gun stores to purchase handguns and/or rifles. So I am always interested in the cultural/regional differences surrounding guns, hunting, etc. And . . . what has changed since the early-1970's, that has shifted the focus from hunting to this, "I am going to march into the Michigan Capitol with my rifle to kidnap the Governor" point of view?

PS
Admittedly, my view may be a bit colored by my Dad. A D-Day landing combat wounded vet, he said once, "If all these pro-gun folks saw what I saw on Omaha Beach that day, they'd think twice about owning a gun as well". He came home from the war and never touched a gun till the day he died.
Admittedly, my view may be a bit colored by my Dad. A D-Day landing combat wounded vet, he said once, "If all these pro-gun folks saw what I saw on Omaha Beach that day, they'd think twice about owning a gun as well". He came home from the war and never touched a gun till the day he died.

Omaha Beach is not in the USA. Our enemies in WW2 declined to attack us on our soil because they knew every American was armed. Maybe your dad never really thought the issue through.

Rope
It may changed since, but when I was growing up in NJ long ago, nobody's parents hunted, or went to the range or had grandpa buy them their first gun, etc. Heck, none of us even had a BB-gun! The stories I used to hear about kids in Texas coming to school with a few shotguns in the back of their pickup trucks was non-existent among my circle of friends and classmates. In fact, if a classmate even suggested something like that, we would have all been saying to each other, "what is his/her problem"?

Axe-u-lee, what has changed in N.J. is that they elected a bunch of anti-gun liberals. I was born and raised in N.J. in the 40s and 50s. We had a winter house in Union County and a “beach house” in Lavallette that initially my aunt & uncle lived in with their 2 kids until we’all built them a house 6 or 5 blocks away. Back then, BB guns were not legal and only shotguns were legal for hunting. Jack, my cousin, along with George and Larry, the kids across the street from the beach house all hunted ducks on Barnegat Bay. I had a few friends in high school who also hunted. In Lenape Park, located north of Cranford and west of Kenilworth, there was a county run pistol and small bore rifle range located in one area and a skeet and trap range in another area that was open to the public on weekends. We would, occasionally, ride our bikes over there and collect spent bullets after school to cast sinkers & scuba weights.
;-)
In the 50s, one could buy ammunition and cigarettes of you were 16 years old. Since one had to be 17 to get a driver’s license, we had no I.D. and, if you looked 16, one could buy ammo at 15 or even 14. One had to be 18 to buy rifles & shotguns. One needed a license from the state to buy pistols, which was fairly difficult to obtain.

There were a number of sporting goods stores in Union County at that time and many hardware stores sold firearms and ammo. Ray’s Sport Center on Route 22 in Plainfield had the best selection of sporting firearms and ammo. Service Armament Company in Ridgefield had a large selection of surplus military arms for sale including artillery and 20 mm anti-tank rifles. That was the place to go for surplus military ammo for ones WW-2 or Korean War souvenirs.
;-)

All that started to change in the late 60s and early 70s. They introduced a firearms identification card, which was voluntary, in 1968 or 69. In 1970 they passed a law that one had to show an I.D. card and sign a record to buy pistol ammo including 22 rimfire ammo. I remembers that there was more paperwork to buy a box of 22s at Sneers & Rowboat in Plainfield in 1971 than when I bought a half case of dynamite in Fairbanks, Alaska. Since then it has only gotten worse to the point that I sold my half of the beach house to my brother and I have no desire to go back to Jersey, me.
;-(

C.J.V.
"Maybe your dad never really thought the issue through."

My Dad was wounded as the landing craft hit the beach and saw dead bodies floating all around him in the water. I have no doubt he thought the issue through very clearly. A lot more clearly than you have, I'm sure.
You are definitely a Jersey guy in my eyes. Good post, and I am well familiar with all the towns you mention. I was born in North Jersey and one of my Uncles had a house in Lavallette and we'd go "down the shore" to visit the cousins. But I stand by my comment that when I was growing up in NJ, nobody's parents hunted, or went to the range or had grandpa buy them their first gun, etc. Heck, none of us even had a BB-gun! That was not our life, and still isn't to this day.

As an aside, I truly respect your view about leaving NJ, but there is no way I'm leaving for any reason - this is my home. In fact I would add, I respect your actions to move way more than some of my pro-2A friends talking all kinds of trash about how they hate "New Germany", and they are hiding their high-capacity magazines in Pennsylvania, and wish they could move to Texas or Wyoming or wherever, but it is all talk. In some ways, I wish they would pack their shXt and move already instead of constant complaining.
No. of Recommendations: 5
My Dad was wounded as the landing craft hit the beach and saw dead bodies floating all around him in the water. I have no doubt he thought the issue through very clearly. A lot more clearly than you have, I'm sure.

PTSD that focused the blame on the instrument rather than the operator. When you think it through, let us know. Meanwhile America will stay proudly armed.

Rope
No. of Recommendations: 5
Lots of tyrants killed lots of people before guns were invented.
Genghis Kahn ranks high in the list of top mass murderers.
Guns are just a tool , like hammers.

In any case the constant propaganda stream from the Left is mot relevant to the reality that there are probably as many firearms in America as they are adults, they last a hundred years or more, and many people will not give them up. It is way too late for prohibition. Especially since prohibition is clearly illegal thanks to the Second Amendment. That amendment is the Law of the Land and it is easy for anybody to read, lawyers not needed

It might be better to put effort into solving murders because in Left dominated cities is quite low https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/10/u-s-homicide-...
those killers not caught will probably do it again, why not.
"PTSD that focused the blame on the instrument rather than the operator."

Seeing dead bodies all around you will do that to you.
"PTSD that focused the blame on the instrument rather than the operator."

Seeing dead bodies all around you will do that to you.

Not good enough. Your answer is not good enough.

How many "dead bodies all around you" have you seen?
Omaha Beach is not in the USA. Our enemies in WW2 declined to attack us on our soil because they knew every American was armed. Maybe your dad never really thought the issue through.

Oh, please. While I am a supporter of the second amendment, the US didn't get attacked on the mainland because neither Japan nor Germany had the capability to land troops.

PSU
Oh, please. While I am a supporter of the second amendment, the US didn't get attacked on the mainland because neither Japan nor Germany had the capability to land troops.

Partly true, but firearms probably did play into their decision not to attack.

If Germany decided to invade the US, the war would have ended early (like 1942 or 1943), or there would have been massive numbers of German casualties with nothing to show for it. The Germans had no forward base in the New World. If they had seized Iceland, any of the French protectorates in the Caribbean, or northern South America, then an invasion, while still a stretch, could have been conceivable. Without forward bases to deploy to and from, an invasion isn’t going to happen.

In addition, everybody had guns. One commonality among the nations conquered by Germany is that private firearms ownership was heavily restricted or simply banned. With no such restrictions here and given the fact that modern combined arms tactics were still in their infancy, it’s difficult to see how the Germans would have avoided taking heavy casualties. The Germans would have faced an armed force at least 10 times the size of their invasion force, who were also motivated to ensure that they (the Germans) would lose.

https://www.quora.com/Why-didnt-Germany-invade-the-US-in-WWI...

Rope
"How many "dead bodies all around you" have you seen?"

Irrelevant to the discussion. I'm talking about my Dad, not me.
"How many "dead bodies all around you" have you seen?"

Irrelevant to the discussion. I'm talking about my Dad, not me.

Not good enough. Your answer is not good enough.

I'm getting old so I let my Texas concealed carry license expire a year or so ago.

However, I do plan to start carrying again in September.

When seconds mean life or death the police are only minutes away.
-- John Connor
"I'm getting old so I let my Texas concealed carry license expire a year or so ago."

Put a calendar notice on your Outlook calendar. I do that to remind me to replace the batteries in our carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.