No. of Recommendations: 1
Great article on Consumer Debt, and the analogy to bailing out a leaking boat is a good one. My question: does it logically follow that cashing in EXISTING investments [to pay off consumer debt] is adviseable? I have been hesitating to do so, because the market is in a slump and I'm confident my investments will come back up. However, leaving it in the market is tantamount to investing with consumer debt, is it not? Were the market not down so much right now, it would be an easier choice. I have a feeling that if I were to "cash out" now just to pay off my debt, my stocks would be worth twice as much in X months when they recover. Wait for the market to recover, or pay my debts now?
Thanks for your opinions,
Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.