Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Over the years I have seen comments made regarding Continuing Care Retirement Communities but can't remember where they were discussed. Hopefully this is an appropriate discussion group.

My wife of almost 50 years died in January. Unfortunately, she was a hoarder. With the help of my children, I have been sorting through the stuff she has accumulated over the years. It has become patently obvious from this process that our home for the last 42 years is way to large for me. I've decided to sell the home. The big question is to where.

I am a 74-year old disable Vietnam Era veteran. In 2017, my sister grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and insisted that I enroll in the VA Healthcare System. One thing that I've discovered is that where I currently live makes it very difficult to get to VA appointments. Where I move to has to be close to a VA Medical Center. At the moment Sacramento seems to be a good place as It has a VA Medical Center. Also, it would be close to my mother's, my eldest sister, and my eldest daughter.

Initially, I thought of buying a small single family home but with my increasing reliance on a cane I don't want to maintain landscaping around the home. I would prefer a planned community where there is a HOA that maintains all the landscaping similar to where my mother lives. My mom and dad bought the home years ago because it was adjacent to the golf club where they had a membership.

Should I be considering a Continuing Care Retirement Community that provides independent living facilities? I am not keen on living in an apartment.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.