Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
...FreeStyle Libre by Abbott Laboratories, one of the best-selling continuous glucose monitors in the country. Similar units include Medtronic’s Guardian Connect, the Dexcom G6 and the Senseonics product Eversense.

The devices offer diabetic patients a way to see their blood glucose rising in real time, data transmitted from a hair-sized sensor just below the skin to an app on their phone....CGM’s...are not covered by most forms of insurance and can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars...

“I was eating steak at a restaurant, and it had some spices on it, and it bumped my blood glucose up to 135 or 140. I found there was sugar in their spice mix," he said.

Somsky learned if he eats close to bed, his blood sugar will take half of the night to recover from a meal. He learned that, “if I just eat carrots, it will raise my blood sugar more than if eat carrots dipped in ranch.”

https://www.inforum.com/lifestyle/health/4039030-Will-contin...

Anyone here using a CGM? How is it working for you?
Print the post Back To Top
Not I..... and I wouldn't be tempted to based on this bit of blatant marketing by Abbott via the usual source of a press release to media outlets (all the signs are there..... including a quote from an obesity researcher who appears to imply that this tool would be useful for everyone, diabetic or not!)

I especially would avoid it if it changed the way I think about food to the extent that I inferred that carrots dipped in ranch dressing might be preferable to carrots based on readings on this monitor.

I've actually run this link by a couple of endocrinologists I know and who're well used to fielding my questions on the topic of diet and health.....and who won't hesitate to correct my reasoning if it's faulty.
No. of Recommendations: 1
.... and, WRT that 15% of healthy individuals who discovered their blood glucose hit pre diabetic levels after a meal with this device?

Well, during the prescreening testing, 5 discovered that they were actually diabetic with an HbA1c > 6.5 and FBG > 126 mg/dl. Another 14 were "prediabetic" with HbA1c > 5.7 and FBG 100-125mg/dl.

Yes, I read the actual research paper, nerd that I am..... you should see the "meal" that caused this prediabetic glucose level.
No. of Recommendations: 2
My new endo who took over my care in 2018 after my previous doc retired pushed a CGM on my first visit but I wasn't ready to have a needle sticking into my skin 24x7. After 20 years, I have a pretty good feel for how different foods affect my blood sugar.

Fuskie
Who 99% of the time is very careful but that other 1% of the time, he just doesn't care...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), DHX Media (DHXM), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Since he has only one arm, my brother can't test his own blood sugar (or charge his cell phone...). His aide frequently takes 3-day weekends in summer. I was thinking a CGM might be helpful as he otherwise just guesses when his aide isn't available to test, but I hesitate to recommend it without more info. His dr hasn't mentioned it, but then I'm sure he doesn't know that bro is only testing 4 days/week lately, and 5 days usually, and eats erratically these days. (Since my injuries from caring for disabled relatives and lengthy lung illness over winter/spring, I've pulled back greatly from the level of help I used to provide. I offer dinner every weekend, but my low-carb meals often cannot compete with alternatives--eg, today I offered a variety of leftovers... Greek roast pork & salad, taco salad, Mexican chicken soup, homemade chicken stir fry...but not his coveted fried chicken, Chinese takeout, Italian...).

me today...

BR
cottage cheese w/crispy bacon crumbled over it

LU
taco salad

DN
chicken-mushroom-broccoli stir fry
yogurt w/strawberry-rhubarb sauce

bro...

BRUNCH
typically waffles & syrup, sausages, pastries, juice, fruit salad...

DINNER
frozen eggplant parmesan

SNACKS
pistachios, jarlsberg
No. of Recommendations: 2
I can see that being a solution for him. Like all blood sugar testing products, the profit is in the testing supplies. So I would make sure his insurance covers the disposables or that the costs he would be responsible is affordable.

Fuskie
Who thinks there's no reason he couldn't bring using CMGs or any other treatment to his doctor's attention to learn if there's a particular reason not to do it...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), DHX Media (DHXM), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
What Fuskie said.... with a caveat. He does have to care enough to understand and utilise any readings to make appropriate choices. From everything you write about him, this doesn't seem to be the case. I could see a device like this being more of a worry to you than it is to him.
alstro, thanks for pointing out activities that a person with only one arm has difficulty performing. That's not something I think about. Your comments help me have more empathy.

I've mostly seen disabled with missing legs or feet (diabetics among other causes), paralyzed in wheelchairs. Since they are common (and visible), I can more easily imagine the mobility obstacles they face.

Those without a hand often have a prosthesis that helps with "normal" tasks. A stump at least provides some resistance?

I don't think I've ever REALLY appreciated the obstacles of a person without a hand, let alone an arm. I've heard the "horror of Islam removing the right hand of a thief, who then has to eat with his left hand", but never really considered it passed the defecating and eating aspects. I've seen the video of the thalidomide baby with no arms* but succeeds anyway.

I've read about the activities in which a person wears a blindfold or hearing prevention, or uses a wheelchair... For a day or two. I don't think I've ever heard of binding an arm for a day.

Even though I'm not very empathetic, I DO appreciate the prosthetics, technologies and changes to social norms that have been developed since 1990, that support those with challenges.

🙂
ralph

*Example:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystic-mandy-who-lost-...
So, interesting feedback on this device from one of the parties I asked..... actually a faculty member at a big name academic institution who is also interested in *exercise as medicine* (so views are likely to be somewhat sympatico with mine)

First off..... this is not that new. The companies manufacturing these devices have been marketing quite aggressively to the medical community. This piece is but one example of a move to *direct to consumer* marketing (you'll be seeing it on TV next!)

His take is that there's modest ....but not tremendously compelling.... evidence that it could help with a newly diagnosed *pre diabetic* who cannot quite get a handle on their own baseline etc. and is trying hard to fathom the maze.

Pretty much everything else is a good example of technology looking for value....... where the marketing is way ahead of the science and evidence. Doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.....but, by now it seems, the evidence SHOULD be there if there's any merit.

Total agreement with me on the thrust of this bit of advertising...... where the company is casting a wider net. As in aiming at the healthy and well who're looking to be even healthier and weller......or, at the very least, looking to "future proof" their bodies (notice the reference to heart rate monitor usage early on in the piece) To quote him..... anyone who's cardiometabolically sound will need to work hard to achieve meaningful glycemic excursion.

I guess that means you can't trust marketing that promotes a device like this if they tout a high post prandial glucose following eating a carrot above a carrot and ranch dressing snack. Or......as I read on a piece targeting biohackers......a banana vs cinnamon bun.
Sort of a cross post from the H&N board....

https://www.physiciansbriefing.com/family-practice-5/aerobic...

Posted within the last half hour on the forum I mentioned by the endo I mentioned.
From your quote. data transmitted ... to an app on their phone.

If the CGM transmits to an app, put the app on YOUR phone, as well as his. That would allow you to monitor his BG?

🙂
ralph
The Dexcom G6 CGM my daughter has does send data to the phone and pump directly, for basal IQ prevention of lows.

The phone app, then uploads it to a Dexcom server, and my wife and I can see our daughters info remotely with apps on our phone. This really helped destress my wife for nighttime. And even now that our daughter is starting her freshman year away at college.

I expect other vendors will do the same if not already.

0xF00L