Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone hear about the status of the UAW negotiations with GM? The outcome will set the tone and impact the company for the next decade. Issues that must be confronted include but are certainly not limited to:

* Competitiveness against foreign rivals
* Out of control pension costs
* Productivity & cost of labor
* Over-capacity and the rationalization of assembly operations

I have attatched a link to the UAW page as a summary of the Negotiation Strategy from the UAW's perspective.

http://www.uaw.com/barg/03/index.cfm

I am curious to hear what people think about where the talks are going and how they are progressing.

DHeavy
Print the post Back To Top
I am curious to hear what people think about where the talks are going and how they are progressing.

Slow. But that is usually the case at this point in time. The pace doesn't really pick up until around the first week of Sept.

Dan
Dreading a nemesis
Dan,

Thanks for the update. Let us know if you hear anything substantial.

DHeavy
You didn't include medical and medical insurance costs. I can't believe that this area is not almost as big a long term financial burden as pensions. Is there something about this subject and GM that is different? crpurdum
You are absolutely correct about the medical liabilities associated with GM. Many are under the impression that these liabilities are tied up in the Pension deficit. They are distincly different and are a real burden to the company. Good point.

DHeavy