No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all, newbie here:) My question is, which do you prefer - contracting or accepting a full-time position? I know it's a general question, depending on the individual and on many different factors. But I'm in a situation where the consulting firm I worked for 3 years laid me off in Nov 2002, then hired me as a contractor in Jan 2003, and I've been working for them as a contractor ever since (with a few weeks of downtime since). They've asked me to consider coming back full-time. I'm looking to go to graduate school next fall (fall 2004), so I'm not interested in looking for a new position w/ another firm in the meantime. The factors in this decision seem to be as follows:

-Money: The money is of course better as a contractor, but counting the periods of downtime, it seems to come out as a wash, my weekly contracting rate vs annual salary. Of course, as an employee you have greater financial stability, whereas contractors take on more risk and hence have higher rates.

-Projects: As a contractor, I feel I have so much more freedom and flexibility to choose which projects I want to take on. I can simply turn down a project if it really doesn't appeal to me. Or, as in my current situation, if it isn't appealing, I could ask for more money to do the project and see what happens. As an employee, that freedom and flexibility is more limited.

-My role on projects: I feel that contractors are generally offered less choicier roles on projects, although that's not always the case. In my current project, because I was not able to commit to being on site 100%, I was placed into a less challenging and less interesting role.

I'm really at a loss as to what I should do. Opinions? Many thanks:)

PS I'm single, no family, no big debt commitments to worry about, so the financial stability is not a huge issue for me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.