Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hoping you guys can shed some light on this. I am working with a contractor to have all new windows installed in my house. We have spend literally hours to outline all the details and get a price. I would like to have a deadline. There is no deadline stated in his contract. He will be ordering our windows from a window manufacturing facility and says that even though he can give us an approximate number of weeks it will take until they arrive, "there are no guarantees." I am in Florida and am hoping to get these installed before September.

So, the sales guy talked to the owner of the company and he would not agree to a deadline. I decided to flex and add 60 days onto his estimate. I thought that was fair. So, if he is telling me it takes 10-12 weeks for the windows to arrive, I am willing to add 60 days on top of that, for the windows to get here and for them to install them. (it will only take perhaps 2 days for them to install them...)

Right now, we are at a standoff, with the owner not wanting to give me ANY deadline.... I was willing to add 60 days onto the approximate time frame the sales guy is telling me.

I really don't want to throw in the towel, because it seems to me these guys know what they are doing and I would like to stick with them. I am just hoping you guys can suggest some way for me to phrase it or something to get them to agree to some deadline. Right now, they could take a year for these windows to arrive and I have no recourse. And for me to get my money back at some point, I would have to dispute my down payment with my Visa card. (which is OK with me, but I would like some date in writing.... which would make my disput with my credit car, more irom clad..) Geez. So frustrating! Maybe I just need to start all over with another company.... but I really would like to salvage this deal. Hoping you have some suggestions...

-Footsox
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.