No. of Recommendations: 7
Some quotes from the article:

"Message boards on the Internet are too often cesspools of inane accusation and totally unnecessary and insupportable hostility. They really don't have to devolve into scenes out of the Lord of the Flies just because there often appear to be no grown-ups around. I don't know that that was the case here, but it could have been."

"I say that, however, with complete ignorance as to whether the individuals in this matter are in any way in the wrong."

So on two occasions, quite clearly, Mr. Barker states that he has no idea whether the defendants said or did anything wrong. Then Mr. Barker states:

"I wish CS First Boston luck on its pursuit."

Hello, McFly. How can you, in good conscience, wish CSFB luck when you don't even have an idea whether or not they are right?

Some Yahoo message boards can be a virtual cesspool of nonsense, however, the ELN board was not. The ELN board has some very good posters - the kind of posters who can reason, think, and that you can learn something from. These are the kinds of individuals that Mr. Barker should seemingly want to protect, not persecute. Note: Before yesterday, I had never looked at the ELN message board.

I have seen a number of John Doe lawsuits against message board posters now. The commonality between all the defendants I have seen is that they speak their minds and they are all intelligent posters. And generally, they are right. The truth is a painful thing - companies and analysts are having a difficult time handling it, so why not try to shut the posters up with a frivilous SLAPP suit.

There's no legal risk for the company suing since the posters are merely aliases and not identifyable people, therefore they don't risk a countersuit. Then, once they get the real names of the posters, what do they do? They can drop the lawsuit, and harrass the poster directly by following them, questioning friends, etc. With billions of dollars potentially at stake, is hiring a hitman out of the question? Err, no, companies always follow the highest ethical standards in this country <ahem>.

Regardless, there's no way that these posters have cost CSFB 1 million bucks.. yet..
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.