Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Contrast that with the software program I use in my biz requires, my guess, minimal upgrades and due to the high switching costs moving elsewhere is not an option. So if I don't like it, that's tough. With a restaurant, customers can move on. I would understand why the software company would want to spend and spend and spend to make me a customer cause the decision to patronize the product is virtually a one-time deal, almost set for life, with unlimited pricing power if not used in a draconian fashion.

i guess it is a super obvious point (probably something to beat into the head) with Amazon on how they keep customers:

*give them free movies and TV shows, even if bottom of the barrel vs. Netflix
*link a credit card which gives higher than normal points
*appeal to the altruistic side by using a 'smile' version intended to benefit charities
*include user reviews - even bad reviews (though switching to verified purchase reviews only made sense once there were enough)
*etc. etc. etc.

They do so many things to keep you as a customer. I mean, who else does this? Hardly anybody. Costco kinda comes close, but anybody else? Not anybody I know, in no other realm of customer service or retail or whatever.

But evaluating this these with Amazon is one thing, but how do you apply this sort of knowledge to other companies? Do you just rely on the customer acquisition numbers ala what they do obsessively on Saul's boards?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.