Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Control of Woodside by a BHP or Santos is a completely different animal than control by Shell. Q/ What interest does a Dutch company have in improving the export earnings of Australia and maximizing shareholders returns in Woodside? A/ NONE. BHP/Billiton or Santos on the other hand could use Woodside to improve export returns of the Nth West shelf and most importantly keep the returns in Australia. I really don't understand cynics who canned this government decision(and I have canned a fair few others recently..BAS/Super levy/Republic/GST linked petrol levies to name a few) I mean I'm all for globalisation, but we are dealing with our potential no 1 export here. On the flip side Aussie companies even IF they had the capital just couldn't walk in and take over say the Dutch cheese Industry. Come on, there is no level playing field when it comes to "free trade" partic within the EEC. Hong Kong still imports all it's beef from Britain despite MadCow and F&M simply to appease an old trade agreement! We haven't had free market access to Europe or the U.S for our products for years..despite them being heaps cheaper and of obvious higher quality. The Woodside decision fights back. We are NOT a walk over. Crikies it's ANZAC day, where is your pride....
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.