Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I own a five-plex apartment building that was fully depreciated by September 1996. I would like to sell it and not pay any taxes on the recapture depreciation and capital gains. I would like to know if I can move into one of the apartments, live in it for two years and then sell the whole building as my principal residence and therefore avoid paying any taxes under the principal residence exclusion provision of the IRS tax codes. Also, would I have to live in the whole building by myself or could I rent out the other units and still qualify for the entire exclusion? One of the units is an efficiency apartment while the other four units are two bedroom apartments. We could easily turn the building into a four-plex if that makes any difference. Also, would it make any difference if we turned the building into a Bed and Breakfast for the two years we lived in it? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this subject.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.