No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi everyone. I'm new at this...rather I'm a late bloomer.
My spouse is self-employed and looking to open a SEP IRA. He is 67 so only has 3 years to contribute. When he has to start taking distribution in 3 years, can the SEP be rolled into a Roth? (I understand that we would have to pay income tax on it at that point.) Would it be possible by law for him to take the distribution, pay the tax and then put the remaining into the ROTH on a yearly basis. (We won't need the distribution to live on for several years and want it to continue to grow tax free) If we can swing the taxes, we would like to get as much as possible into the Roth as soon as possible. We could do the ROTH now but the SEP allows for a larger contribution.
I just don't find much about SEP's converting to ROTH's. SEP's seem to be a lesser used tool so it doesn't get as much press. Know what I mean.
(I understand about the limitations and AGI that have to be met in any given year.)
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.