Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are retired, collecting Social Security, and getting Medicare benefits. We would like to move some/all of our IRA holdings to our Roth IRA, over a period of years if necessary, to reduce the taxability of Capital Gains.
I know some considerations include the following:
? The basis of the transfer would be the value of the holdings at the time of the transfer;
? Increasing our taxable income would increase our tax rates;
? Increasing our taxable income might affect the taxability of our Social Security benefits;
? Increasing our taxable income might raise our Medicare costs;
? I will probably have to make quarterly payments to the IRS.

As a retired CPA, I can use the tables supplied by the IRS and Medicare to calculate these situations, although I think most people should consult with a tax advisor.

Am I missing anything?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.