Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools

COO worked out poorly for me. I got in at 237.29 after which COO tanked. I sold $230 calls for 8.61 (which given my purchase price maybe I should not have - thoughts?) Then, and only then COO started its ascend. Ah well. A total of $1.32 in profit (bar possible costs for the execution of the call) – 0.5% in profits! Not exactly what I call North Star beating performance here.

So why this whole ordeal? Do we no longer believe in our thesis, which sounded good when it was written? Why let the shared be called away? Can anybody explain the rationale behind this whole trade? Frankly, why was there a recommendation to cover COO when our thesis was that it should perform really well? (and why did I follow it - only I can answer). I thought that we only do covered calls if and when we are ready to let shares go, which for me in this case wasn't really the case, or did I miss an update to the investment thesis?

My main question is: when does it make sense to write covered calls that if executed effectively lock in a loss (or, in this case, basically a wash)? And this is no hypothetical question for me, as I have yet to executed covers calls on JnJ which would result in a major loss if executed (which is why I haven't, so far, written any).

Any feedback welcome!
- Zy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.