Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
COP26: Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate report

October 20,2021

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58982445

A huge leak of documents seen by BBC News shows how countries are trying to change a crucial scientific report on how to tackle climate change.

The leak reveals Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are among countries asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels.

The leak shows a number of countries and organisations arguing that the world does not need to reduce the use of fossil fuels as quickly as the current draft of the report recommends.

An adviser to the Saudi oil ministry demands "phrases like 'the need for urgent and accelerated mitigation actions at all scales…' should be eliminated from the report".

One senior Australian government official rejects the conclusion that closing coal-fired power plants is necessary, even though ending the use of coal is one of the stated objectives the COP26 conference.

-------------------

The IPCC says comments from governments are central to its scientific review process and that its authors have no obligation to incorporate them into the reports.

-------------------

Professor Corinne le Quéré of the University of East Anglia, a leading climate scientist who has helped compile three major reports for the IPCC, has no doubts about the impartiality of the IPCC's reports.

She says all comments are judged solely on scientific evidence regardless of where they come from.

"There is absolutely no pressure on scientists to accept the comments," she told the BBC. "If the comments are lobbying, if they're not justified by the science, they will not be integrated in the IPCC reports."

She says it is important that experts of all kinds - including governments - have a chance to review the science.

"The more the reports are scrutinised", says Professor le Quéré, "the more solid the evidence is going to be in the end, because the more the arguments are brought and articulated forward in a way that is leaning on the best available science".

---------------------

More comments by various countries on the IPCC reports are contained in the BBC link.

Jaak
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate report

That why the parties have meetings (COP, Congress of Parties) in order to hash things out. For example:

The Like Minded-Group of Developing Countries (LMDC) is a group of developing countries who organise themselves as a block negotiators in international organizations such as the United Nations and the World Trade Organization, they represent more than 50% of the world's population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like-Minded_Developing_Countri...

The LMDC held a meeting this month and issued a statement stating they have no interest in rushing to net zero
https://static.pib.gov.in/WriteReadData/specificdocs/documen...
"Despite their lack of ambition shown in the pre-2020 period, as well as in their Paris Agreement NDCs, major developed countries are now pushing to shift the goal posts of the Paris Agreement from what have already been agreed by calling for all countries to adopt Net Zero targets by 2050. This new ‘goal’ which is being advanced runs counter to the Paris Agreement and is anti-equity and against climate justice. Demands for ‘Net zero’ emissions for all countries by 2050 will exacerbate further the existing inequities between developed and developing countries."

DB2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
That why the parties have meetings (COP, Congress of Parties) in order to hash things out. For example...

This is an example of Climate Change Politics which has little or no relation to Climate Change Science. Don't let them fool you!

The Captain
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"That why the parties have meetings (COP, Congress of Parties) in order to hash things out. "

The only thing 'most' of the parties (80% of them or more) want to hash out is how many trillions the other 20% will give them in $$$$ to fund the retirement accounts of the corrupt leaders of those '3rd world countries' to go green. The only green is in the bank accounts of the ministers and leaders of those countries.

wasn't it amazing to see how much wealth the leaders of many world countries had as fortunes? Putin has ten billion stashed away.. Jordan King had billions.....yeah...

we really need to be sending them trillions more graft money. to 'have an agreement'.....which will do nothing....


t.
Print the post Back To Top