Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
copperpipe says

I just got my Dell flyer in the mail, y'know, the one EVERYBODY gets. Systems with CDRW and 15"monitor for $799. When people start thinking about that computer system for little johnny for Christmas and he said "I WANT CDRW!" they will save the $200 (20%) and buy a Dell. Priceing will make a difference this Christmas. Dell also has a great commercial out showing this off. Apple needs an $800 CDRW imac to compete! Marketshare needs competitive pricing! I dunno, maybe i'm just panicing, but I wonder how well Apple is positioned for Christmas.

Market share is good, but they still have to make money on each sale and not cannibalize their more profitable models. We don't know their COGS so it's hard to judge what their pricing "should" be.

Also, Apple has tried under-$1000 iMacs several times and always wound up taking them off the market because they found that the poeple who want a Mac are not very price-sensitive at that range. Or so I'm told.

And btw, remember how well the ibook did, and is doing, with the competitive pricing Apple has on it????

You betcha, and I would not be too surprised if a lot of people wind up buying an iBook instead of an iMac this Christmas.

crassfool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.