Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Corn
A while back, in a previous discussion about corn, I noted that true corn lovers say that if an ear is out of the ground more than 1/2 hour, it's not fit to eat. I stand by that, although, unless one lives in corn country that's impossible. My guess is that supermarket corn is out of the ground at least a week, what with picking, processing, shipping and other factors. Nevertheless, come May and June, I get such a craving for it, I'll eat what some would not feed the pigs. Come July though, I am able to get it at a local stand where it's probably not more than 1-2 days out of the ground.
As to cooking it, I find the best way (for me at least) is to microwave it covered (but not tightly) about 1-1/2 minutes per ear. Yummm, delicious!

Pasta
Couldn't find the post of the person who said he/she liked spaghetti the least of all pastas but here are my thoughts.
Am I wrong in thinking that all pasta is made from (if not exactly then certainly generally) the same ingredients?
As to the spaghetti hater, perhaps you are not cooking it the best way.
1. Bring 4-5 quarts of water to a boil. Bring another couple quarts to boil in another pot or kettle.
2. Insert as much spaghetti as needed in first pot.
3. After about ten minutes, start checking, a strand at a time, for doneness.
4. When the pasta reaches al dente (the the overwhelmingly preferred state), dump into a colander or sieve and fork-toss several times with the other boiled water. Do not use the water in which you cooked the pasta.
5. Add some salt and butter and toss a little more. PERFECTO!!!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.