Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
My MIL has somehow damaged her cornea of one eye and needs a transplant. The operation is apparently not all that difficult, and no hospitalization is required.

Has anyone here any experience with such an operation? Anybody messing with my eye scares me.

The poor thing has been miserable since before Memorial Day. (She is 82.)

CNC
Print the post Back To Top
The biggest problem is tissue rejection, but since the cornea doesn't have a blood supply, that doesn't happen as often as with kidney and heart transplants.

intercst
They also have to be careful of 'Dry-Eye' syndrome which is not uncommon especially in older people.
Insufficient tear production can greatly delay corneal healing.
Late in 2016 I was diagnosed with something called "narrow angle". In a maybe 5% to 10% of cases like mine blindness of the same type glaucoma causes happens. The problem is unlike glaucoma, the blindness can happen quickly - in a matter of a couple of days.

The recommendation was a laser eye surgery - basically they burn a hole in the iris of the eye. Sounds scary. The hardest part of getting drops. I had my surgery at age 74. I have an appointment in early August to schedule cataract surgery. Guess this is the 'Year of the Eye' so to speak.
No. of Recommendations: 0
GWPotter: I have an appointment in early August to schedule cataract surgery. Guess this is the 'Year of the Eye' so to speak.

If your cataract surgery is the same as mine, it was simple, fast, and painless. In my case they put drops in my eye to numb it, and then inserted (from the side) a small probe (not unlike a concrete stirrer I have seen) which pulverizes the lens. Then they insert (through the same opening) a plastic lens, which is all folded up. It unfurls, and Viola! New eye! Couldn't drive home because the eye had been super dilated for the operation.

CNC