Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Corned beef is closer in flavor to ham than any other meat I'm familiar with. I might try a beef marrow bone (eg, shin slice) plus corned beef.

Corned beast does have a similar flavor to ham, yes. Another idea would be pastrami, which is corned beef, covered with spices (mostly black pepper & coriander) and smoke cooked. Back in the 70s, my parents would go to the deli counter of their local supermarkets in New Jersey and buy “Doggie Bags”, the end pieces of cold cuts that were too thin or misshapen to be easily sliced for sandwiches. Back then they would get a 4 or 3-pound bag of mixed ham, corned beef, pastrami, etc. for less than a dollar. If you have a kosher deli near by, you might ask about buying a pastrami end hunk cheap.
;-)

Curing one’s own corned beef is a fairly simple process using Morton’s “Tender Quick”. I made some very good corned beef using I-round. I have, however, never made a good pastrami. For some reason, my spices tend to fall off in my smoker(s) and the meat tends to come out dryer and a bit saltier than I like.
;-(

Being in my mid-70s, I try to limit my intake of fat, especially beef, lamb & pig fat, which is why I make & freeze my stocks the way I do.

C.J.V. - time to check the big freezer for any raw corned beast for Saint Paddy’s Day, me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.