Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're describing seems to be either:
1. a Trad 401k conversion to a Roth IRA
2. a Roth 401(k) to Roth IRA rollover

Actually, you can make after-tax contributions to your 401(k) account, if your plan allows them. Then, any conversion (be it to a Roth subaccount in the 401(k) or to an IRA) is still considered to be a backdoor conversion, although it's typically called a 'mega backdoor conversion' since you can generally contribute more on an after-tax basis to your 401(k) (for 2022, it's up to $61,000 minus any elective deferrals and any employer match, but not counting catch up contributions) than to an IRA. In that context, the OP's question is perfectly valid and doesn't describe either of the options you provided.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.