Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Corrected version (sorry about that)

but i tend to place more faith in doctors than cartoonists

The question though is why do you put more faith in the few doctors who believe that hydroxychloroquine is effective rather than the many studies done by doctors that indicate it is not?

I've actually read the research article from the Henry Ford Hospitals and found two interesting issues. Just to remind everyone, the study tested four treatments: hydroxychloroquine alone (HCQ); azythromycin (an antibiotic) alone (AZY); 3) HCQ+AZY; and 4) neither drug. The results from lowest mortality to highest was: HCQ (13%), HCQ+AZY (20%), AZY (22%), and no drug (26%). Wow, seems like HCQ works! However, as I mentioned there are two troubling concerns.

The first is describe in the methods section. One sentence states: "The combination of hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin was reserved for selected patients with severe COVID-19 and with minimal cardiac risk factors."

This means that group HCQ+AZY on average had healthier hearts than the other groups.

Another sentence states: "An electrocardiogram (ECK) based algorithm was utilized for hydroxychloroquine use. QTc > 500 ms was considered an elevated cardiac risk and consequently hydroxychloroquine was reserved for patients with severe disease with telemetry monitoring and serial QTc checks."

This means that the groups taking HCQ were provided more extensive heart monitoring than the other groups. Seems like they gave HCQ patients more attention and care. Seems a bit unfair.

The second and perhaps even more troubling issue is buried near the bottom of Table 1. It shows the percent of patients from each group given steroids. This is important because there are lots of evidence that certain steroids (like dexamethasone) can benefit patients with severe Covid symptoms. Here's the percent of patients from each group given steroids from highest to lowest: HCQ (79%); HCQ+AZY (74%); AZY (39%); no drug (36%). Notice how that corresponds exactly with the mortality rankings.

In other words, a good case can be made that the difference in mortality rates was due to the steroid treatments, not HCQ. I suspect there are other issues, but these are the two I saw in my reading.

This is not strong evidence for HCQ. It really isn't.

You can evaluate the paper yourself: https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/ful...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.