Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had a 57, colored as shown, but just 4bbl 3 spd

and a 70 coupe, white/blk int, 454 4 spd, Hooker chrome side pipes.

Would like to have had a 65 396 coupe, any color, and a 74 roadster, white/oxblood, 454 4spd

Anything newer than that never interested me.
Work buddy had a Vett in the mid 80s.. Fiberglass body... The more I saw of it, the cruder it looked.... Edges were left unfinished, just a lot of little things...
No. of Recommendations: 2
I once bought my daughter an 87 Vette.... Oh wait, that was a Chevette.

~aj
If you think the mid-80's Vettes were crude, you should examine the earlier models!

I just accepted that this was the norm in fiberglass auto construction until I bought a 63 Studebaker Avanti in 1970. It's fit and finish, even on inner panels, was flawless.

But fit and finish wasn't why people bought Corvettes, and that's one reason why they're still in production, (albeit in a much more refined fashion), and Studebaker Avantis aren't?
I made the trip from Madison Wisconsin to New Orleans and back in two different Corvettes (not mine, alas, but I did help with the driving).

The first was a 360 hp 1962 tricked out with forest green paint and Cragar mags. The second trip was in a 1967 coupe, 327 – 350 hp, Marina Blue.

On the first run, I was at the wheel in the dead of night on US 55 in central Mississippi and I had the road all to myself.

Tommy James and the Shondells were on the radio singing Crimson and Clover and as the tempo started to build at the end of the song I started gradually pressing on the accelerator until the telephone poles were going by like fence posts.

I would guess I was going about 130 when the owner of the car woke up and said ”Jeeezus, slow the f&*k down!”, then rolled over and went back to sleep.

Whatever happened to my youth?