Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Cory -

In my haste to provide a list of interesting candidates above, I should have said they all pass the FIRST of the three screens; that is, they all possess earnings power.

As for sustainability of competitive advantage and valuation, these are grayer areas. For a company like ARO, heck if I know what gives it a moat. I do not shop there. But, the teen retailer's chart is impressive. So I intend to buy a starter position and learn more about the business.

One of the items I look for when doing my 5-minute test is year 5 enterprise value/free cash flow yield. I take today's EV/FCF yield, then calculate what this yield will be five years from now if the company achieves growth long-term estimates. If five years from now the yield is over 10%, then I am interested. My list of companies all had Year 5 EV/FCF yields over 10%. But as always, please double-check my work.

I am a big fan of Morningstar's work, including their estimates of intrinsic value.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.