Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Cosmicfool,
If you bought GM as part of your Fool Four, than it's status as a dividend-producer is really a moot point. Had you started a DRIP plan with them without realizing their (relatively) poor dividend history, I could understand your concern, but as part of a Fool Four, I would just hold on to it until October 29, 2000.

Understand of course, that you don't necessarily have to follow the Fool Four approach, but it would probably be disadvantageous (from a cost perspective) to sell them off because of their dividend history. GM is one of the more stable industries (current strike notwithstanding) and you will probably be quite pleased with your return over the next 18 months.

I have GM as part of my own Fool Four (started last July) and have had good returns (if I was at home, I could give you an annual return percentage figure). Evevn the current strike doesn't concern me because I still have 7 months left before I sell it off. Trust me, don't let shorter-term occurences affect your long-term (well, 18 mos. may not be exactly long-term, but yuo get the idea) decisions. I also bought 150 shares of MO as part of my Fool Four, so I completely understand your concerns.

Bottom line, you have to do whatever it is that makes cosmicfool comfortable!

Fool on!

TFFKAR <:o)
...but I still am...
Fool sans chapeau!
©racerboy, 1998

BTW - I sort of wish that I had a GM DRIP, especially with the strike, but I do not believe that they even have one.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.