No. of Recommendations: 1
FDA approves first postpartum depression drug. It works quickly but costs over $20K, report says
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/03/19/zulres...

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"FDA approves first postpartum depression drug. It works quickly but costs over $20K, report says" - intercst
-----------------

Of course, that's how capitalism works, "whatever the market will bear." Something costs whatever people are willing to pay for it. Manufacturers charge the maximum of whatever they think they can get for it. It's all about making as much profit as quickly as possible.

Welcome to America!

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
Cost of Postpartum Drug Could Trigger Suicide?

Stop doing that.

If one has depression severe enough that suicide is triggered, well, that terrible outcome is no more likely now that an expensive drug treatment is available than it was prior to that. There is absolutely zero logical backup to the notion that the high cost of the drug is what triggers the suicide.

Just a truth-twisting, click-baiting title. No doubt about it.

xtn
It get's worse.

I was watching a story on NPR last night and one of the doctors that worked on the clinical trial approving the drug said the cost of a treatment had been jacked to $38,000.

Over half of the woman with postpartum disease are on Medicaid.

intercst
"Over half of the woman with postpartum disease are on Medicaid." - intercst

Yepper, that's how capitalism works... whatever the market will bear. And since the Federal Government has bottomless pockets they figure they can charge as much as they want to? The business of America is business and the goal of business is to maximize profits.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 7
Over half of the woman with postpartum disease are on Medicaid.

intercst

Medicaid covers nearly half of all births.

Which is why I have issues with objections to Medicaid covering birth control.
It get's worse. I was watching a story on NPR last night and one of the doctors that worked on the clinical trial approving the drug said the cost of a treatment had been jacked to $38,000.

Uh oh, that's almost twice as much. I guess the suicide rate will almost double...according to the logic of this threads title.

xtn