Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I did a search and could not find a discussion of this topic. I'm amazed. I'll compose this post while taxes are still on my mind.

I've used TTax since the first filing after we bought an AppleII+, so that's a long time. In recent years they have included in the cost of their product the electronic filing of our federal return but not the filing of our California income tax return.

It is not clear just how much effort is required to enter a printed return from a tax program. Clearly a hand completed set of forms is a whole other problem. Clearly the California FTB starts with a table of entries designed to be scanned into a computer, but this must be a manual task. Thereafter, the paper and electronic copies need to be tracked together in a filing system. It only stands to reason that the FTB saves money if I e-file. I can't see why I should pay an additional $20 to e-file. That is way more than the paper, ink, and postage, even certified with return receipt.

Is it time for me to tell my state legislators that it should not cost me a bundle to e-file? Can anyone help me document the case with numbers?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.