Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not clear on what will happen next year when Costco ends the partnership with Amex. I have read that members will be offered a new card (VISA I think) but haven't been able to figure some things out:

1. will there be cash rewards plan?
2. will balances transfer?
3. other benefits?

I've noticed Amex offering me an alternate card which appears to be no fee and cash back. Haven't decided yet on anything.

What are you planning to do when your Costo cards sunsets?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Latest-on-Costc...

The link above is to a leaked FAQ for Costco members.
I got a letter yesterday explaining what was going on with Costco and Amex. It looks like we are getting a replacement Visa. It also looks like Costco will be accepting all Visa cards. I hope we get a chance to decline as I already got the new Amex.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I got a letter yesterday explaining what was going on with Costco and Amex. It looks like we are getting a replacement Visa. It also looks like Costco will be accepting all Visa cards. I hope we get a chance to decline as I already got the new Amex.

Costco will not be accepting American Express as of April 1, 2016.

If the new American Express you got was though Costco it will automatically stop working on March 30th as per American Express when I talked to them. If it's just a regular American Express there will be no change.

Utahtea
What are you planning to do when your Costco cards sunsets?

I'll be looking at what the new Costco card has to offer as far as rewards and other benefits before deciding. We have a Visa card that dates back to 1974 and it was the first card DH & I got.

I will be dropping American Express because Costco is the ONLY reason I have it. It's the card DH and I have used when ever we could for the rewards we got though Costco but we're dropping when it will no longer work on March 30, 2016.

Utahtea
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hoping for a good rewards package. I was still grandfathered into the old Costco Amex. None of that 1%/2%/3% by categories. It started at 1% and climbed to 1.5% cashback after the first $5k/year. I've historically run all of my spending through that card, and do quite well on the cashback.

Curious what Amex is going to do with my card. Will they issue me a non-Costco branded cashback card? Will I get the same terms? Or will that deal evaporate completely?

I'll wait and see what the Costco Citi Visa offers as far as rewards. I have a pretty strong loyalty to Amex, they've been fantastic anytime I've had a fraudulent charge or anything like that in the past.
Curious what Amex is going to do with my card. Will they issue me a non-Costco branded cashback card? Will I get the same terms? Or will that deal evaporate completely?

When I talked to AE they said all Costco American Express cards would no longer work as of April 1st. They tried to talk me into a new no fee card but I just don't have any use for a card that doesn't work at Costco. Like you, we run everything we can though our Costco AE because it was our best rewards card. We're hoping the Visa card will be the same or better.

Utahtea
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Latest-on-Costc......

The link above is to a leaked FAQ for Costco members.
- vkg | Date: 10/22/2015 11:58:44 PM | Number: 310415

I LOVE it when Internal <Eyes Only> commercial communications get leaked into the mainstream. The potential trade is short COSTCO/American Express buy Visa(R).

David
No. of Recommendations: 6
I LOVE it when Internal <Eyes Only> commercial communications get leaked into the mainstream. The potential trade is short COSTCO/American Express buy Visa(R).

That 'potential trade' is long gone. This has been publicly announced since November, and the news has long since been priced into both company's stock prices, along with being priced into Citi, the servicer that will supply the Costco Visa cards.

AJ