Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Could someone direct me to a place where there are definitions of terms used to rate a stock.
- binnyrus

Hi binnyrus!

I've been around here for a few years and I've heard this term used many times, and the next post; Subject: Market Multiples give some insight on how it is used. I also checked my MS Bookshelf and it gives the following definition.

multiple:

Having, relating to, or consisting of more than one individual, element, part, or other component; manifold.

noun
Mathematics. A number that may be divided by another number with no remainder: 4, 6, and 12 are multiples of 2.

So just to look further; I Googled 'market multiple' and it came up with several links. The following looks promising although I don't know anything about them, nor have I used them before. Take a look here:

http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/403/fairy.htm

Efficient Frontier
William J. Bernstein

The Returns Fairy. . . Explained

When you Google this guy you will find quite a few references to him, pointing back to the above website, but quite a few others. I've heard him mentioned around TMFool as some kind of authority.

Good luck, and let 'us' know what you think.

~hildy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.