Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Could you elaborate a little on the "chunk and dunk" part of the cook? Does this mean you chop the point up, slather it with BBQ sauce and put it back on the smoker?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Close. When the whole packer reaches about 175* in the flat ... take your knife & separate the point from the flat. I wrap the flat in foil at this stage & just put it in a dry cooler, cover with a couple of old towels, lid on cooler & let it sit for a couple of hours. It will continue to cook another 10-12 degrees, and be just right for slicing. If you intend to shred it or *pull* it, you need to put it back on the smoker for a while, so that carryover temps take it up to 200*.

Now ... back to the point, that you have just separated from the flat. This is what you make the burnt ends from. After separating from the flat, I just cut the point into 6-8 big chunks (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) ... slather them with sauce & put them back into the smoker. Depending on how hot your smoker is, it may take them another hour or two ... the slathering of sauce will aid in giving them that nice crusty coating, and most of the fat will render out. Check them after about an hour, and if they are getting TOO dark, just throw them all in a piece of foil & loosely wrap ...

I don't like them chopped, but that's a personal preference ... once they are done, you can either chop them OR just cut them into bite-size chunks before serving.

Also, when you wrap the flat do you add beef broth or some other liquid in the foil before putting it back on the smoker?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some people do that ... I don't. If you wrap the flat @ 170-175* internal temp, it will still have enough juice in it that it will make it's own liquid in the foil. If you wait too long to wrap it (say 185-190* internal temp)...then most of the juice & fat will have rendered out already & you might want to add a lil' liquid to the foil.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.