No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I have been barely keeping my head above water for several years. I moved to a new place and got a better job specifically to pay my debts off and had a car wreck the first month I was here, totally my reliable paid off car. I have not been adding to my debts for a while, but I am making no progress and it is getting very frustrating. With the addition of a small car payment and higher insurance, I really cannot make it any more. I hate to get a second job and work MORE, as my life is already consumed by these debts. I know what you are saying "you charged up all that stuff so you should pay for it" Well, I agree. Unfortunately, I charged it up so long ago (in college in 1990) that I am certain I have already paid it back 2-fold (at least). So yeah, I'm impatient. And angered by the credit card companies games. Each month it seems I have to call one of the 4 to take off a late charge or re-reduce my negotiated interest rates.

Here is my question: I am tired of worrying about this. I want the help of a consumer credit agency but my credit is good (when I bought my car, they told me I have a B rating because I have to much credit). Is it worth it so ding my credit and take their help or should I just keep struggling (I am so tired).

Well, it seems people offer advice based upon specifics, so here are mine:

student loans: 39K
credit cards: 22K
car: 5000K

monthly debt payments:
student loan 1: $156
student loan 2: $175 (soon to be ~$300)
First USA: $130 ($6500 @ 10.9%)
MBNA: $80 ($4500 @ 9.9%)
Citibank: $85 ($5000 @ 11.9%)
Discover: $130 ($6000 @ 5.9%...soon to rise)
auto: $150 (9.75%)
-----
total: $906

other expenses:
rent: $625
elec: $70
phone: $40
water: $30
food: $200
ent: $200 (incl. dining out, travel)
personal: $100 (incl. medical)
auto insur/gas: $100
misc: $100
-----
total: $1465
grand total: $2371

monthly income after taxes: $2234

So you can see I am already cutting back each month to come up with the extra $135. Usually this is the entertainment and misc category, but what if my car needs work or want to go to a simple music concert? I totally believe in living below my means, but it is depressing to think this will be my budget for the next several years.

I am not a whiner, just trying to honestly articulate my feelings. I have much anger at the credit industry who sent me cards while I was still in college and the free and loose student loans I was plied with, but that is another post. For now, my question is, should I keep struggling to keep my credit rating (almost) perfect, or give in and ask for the help (and can they really help, given my cards already low percentage rates). I am sooooo tired of thinking about this.

thanks so much for any advice!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.