Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Count me in - this is the ONE SITE I would pay actual hard dollars to be a part of - no question at all. If TMF is concerned about covering their costs, I would suggest that they do something that we can all live with.

I would have a hard time paying for this site.

David is correct on one important point: We provide the overwhelming amount of content on this site. Why should we pay for that which we provide? I find the content provided by the main online writers is poor. I like the Gardner's books, but those are out there to buy at Amazon, etc.

I don't mind the site having ads. That is, any more than any other site. They have to make money on something so they can pay for the servers for us to use for free.

But, it does remind me of the very old days, before ISPs, before web sites... remember the days of the computer BBS? Bulletin Board Systems. Text Based. Command Line. Real Men and Real Women with 300 baud modems, and they are plenty fast enough for the content. For the most part, we had to pay for our subscriptions to those services and we provided the content. I think the whole thing was so unique a forum that paying for it seemed reasonable. Now, we pay for our "on-ramp" and expect the rest of the internet to be virtually free. Of course, it can't be, not really. But, it does seem reasonable that it is the access we were paying for back in the BBS days, and for which we pay now in the ISP days. Once we have access, why pay more for content?

This market, the financial model that works, etc. has yet to fully develop. It will be interesting to watch.

Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.