Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am unable to contribute to a Coverdell ESA due to the income limits. The following article discusses a way to get around this.

http://www.fool.com/college/college02.htm?source=PFinAg

An excerpt is below:

Any individual may contribute a maximum of $2,000 a year to a Coverdell ESA for the benefit of any person under age 18. But the contribution limit is phased out for contributors with a modified adjusted gross income between $95,000 and $110,000 for single persons and between $190,000 and $220,000 for joint filers. (The phase-out is ratable, i.e., if you're single and your income is halfway between $95,000 and $110,000, then you can contribute $1,000 -- half of the maximum.)

But if you exceed those income limits, don't worry. Just give the money to the kid and let him open the Coverdell ESA himself. For example, let's say Jocelyn, a single person, wants to establish a Coverdell ESA for her favorite little guy, Spanky. But Jocelyn's AGI is $130,000. Her maximum contribution to little Spanky's Coverdell ESA would be ZERO, because of the income limitation rules. But there is no reason that Jocelyn can't make a $2,000 gift to Spanky, who can then open his own Coverdell ESA with $2,000, since he's well under the income limitations (assuming his lemonade stand doesn't rake in more than $95,000 a year).

Has anyone who exceeds the income limits done this? Would I open a new account and list my 4 year old as the account owner? I didn't think this was possible. Are there any rules regarding how the "gift" is given?

Thanks,
STL
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.